Applications for Elemental’s 11th Cohort are officially open!
Think of us as a nonprofit VC:
- First the investor part: We invest $300,000 (for growth strategy development) or $600,000 (for project deployment) to companies across six systems – water, food and agriculture, nature-based solutions, energy, mobility, and the circular economy. Then, built on the belief that it takes more than funding for companies to succeed, we surround them with holistic support across equity and access, fundraising, policy, corporate partnerships, community engagement, and a network of other CEOs and innovators.
- Second, our nonprofit mission: Redesigning systems at the root of the climate crisis drives our work with startups, to help fast-track the sustainable and equitable deployment of technologies the world needs to help solve climate change.
Climate resilience, zero carbon, and the built environment
We have identified three themes to help guide our cohort selection this year across our six sectors. Based on our unique expertise, we are especially keen to support solutions in these areas. These themes are not definitive — when we invest, we look for transformative teams and technologies, areas ripe for innovation, and where we can make the most impact.
We must scale equitable solutions that can bolster resilience and enable a healthy, thriving planet for all. Given our island roots and our experience deploying climate solutions with communities on the front lines of climate change, we know first hand what is possible. We aim to:
- Ensure 24/7 renewable power generation and storage
- Transition from conventional to regenerative farming practices
- Scale alternative proteins and crops
- Reduce deforestation and restore biodiversity in our oceans and terrestrial ecosystems
- Optimize stormwater and flood management
We must simultaneously transition away from fossil fuels while we remove the nearly 50% increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide seen since the dawn of the industrial era. Elemental’s patient, risk-tolerant capital and impact-first approach are vital ingredients in commercializing early-stage carbon solutions. We aim to:
- Capture, store, and utilize CO2
- Commercialize alternative energy resources such as hydrogen
- Increase carbon removal in soil, forests, and ocean ecosystems
We must abandon the linear, extractive model of how we use resources and adopt new models based around localization and circularity. There is significant policy interest and demand from governments to modernize our infrastructure and create a net-zero future. Technologies in this space have matured and are ready for Elemental’s strategic support and policy expertise. We aim to:
- Enable sustainable, smart cities
- Decentralize energy production and distribution
- Increase efficiency in buildings and industrial operations
- Develop alternate materials and resource-recovery tools
- Proliferate alternate forms of transportation including new form factors & enabling infrastructure
- Empower people with new low-carbon, lower-cost mobility options
- Optimize water and wastewater infrastructure
- Expand controlled environment agriculture
Come grow with us.
Key information on Elemental’s application process:
- Deadline: April 8, 2022
- Funding: $300,000 / $600,000
- Geography: Startups can be from anywhere in the world, relocation is not required
- Minimum requirements: Two full time employees, an operating prototype, an independent for-profit venture operating in the Climatetech space
- Equity & Access: All companies will complete Elemental’s Equity is Dynamic curriculum. The most compelling projects are designed with Elemental’s Square Partnership model in mind and include a strategy to engage with and compensate community-based partners.
- For more information, review our applicant resources and join a Q&A session.
• • •